Saturday, August 27, 2011

Support for Ian Lockwood’s Loeb Fellowship Nomination

(The events in this post occurred in December 2010)

Before I went anywhere with my Fellowship application, I had to gauge the level of support from AECOM and my coworkers.  I genuinely had a good feeling about this but did not want to jeopardize my job, my friendships, my professional relationships, nor the “great group” that the firm had developed over the years to provide Livable Transportation services.  I started by telling Tim Jackson about my nomination.

Tim Jackson, PE, AICP
Tim is in charge of our office in Orlando as well as the other AECOM Planning and Design offices in the southeastern United States.  Tim is a seasoned professional engineer and planner and has a unique understanding of detailed design as well as really big picture ideas.  He has a passion for a range of pursuits from helping large private property owners preserve huge natural areas in perpetuity, to helping DOTs with reform ideas, to many other worthy endeavors.  No matter how many balls Tim has up in the air, he always manages to find time to help me strategize my projects or develop the best teams to allow my work to succeed.


Tim could not have been more supportive of my nomination and application.  He already knew a few Fellows from past years and immediately knew how important an opportunity this was.  He also asked me all the right questions and offered any support that he could.
Next, I had to inform my fellow principals, coworkers, and colleagues from around the continent.  I decided to do this via a group e-mail so that they would get the correct information, all at the same time.  I was blown away with the response.  Here is a sample of the responses:
John Paul:  What great news!  To be nominated is quite an honor, in and of itself.  I still have memories of some of the Loeb Fellows while I was attending Harvard - two of them, Andrew Altman and Jacquelyn Harris had a direct influence on me and began to change my views of planning and urban design.  You certainly could fill that role for many of the students there now.
Chad:  Wooohooo!  Congrats Ian. I'd love to share my experience with you regarding my interaction with the Loebs during my time in Cambridge. Good luck and talk to you soon.
Sarah:  Hip Hip Hooray, Ian!!  This is such wonderful news and TOTALLY deserved!   What a gift to the students, university, yourself!  What a talent you are – it’s so nice to see that being recognized!  Ian, if there’s anything we can do, name it!  Congratulations and well done, Chap!!!  Rock em, sock em!
Phillip:  Delighted to know you’ve been nominated for the Loeb Fellowship.  Mine was ages ago (83-84), but I still think about and draw upon the experience all the time. Great opportunity to focus on an interest – and also a lovely, intellectual wallow. As you are probably aware, the Fellows have become an exceptional network. Cathy Sloss Crenshaw, one of our brightest developers, finished her Fellowship in 2006 and has since brought Loeb teams to Birmingham to help her with projects.  Best of luck on the Loeb.
Ann: Ian- this is so exciting! Congrats on being nominated, Harvard would be at a loss if they didn’t choose you. Let us know if you need help.
Carey: That is absolutely fantastic, Ian.  It would be heavenly for you….please let me know if I can send a letter or do any references for you in support, ok?
Tina: That is wonderful news!  How exciting!  I’ll keep my fingers crossed in hope that you are one of the 10 selected to participate in this opportunity.
Sharon:  Congratulations Ian, as they say at all the awards shows, it’s an honor just to be nominated!  This sounds like an amazing opportunity, best of luck! 
Bruce:  You suck. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.  Actually, congratulations and the best of luck with this.  You will be missed during that period and I hesitate to think of the crazy ideas you’ll come back with.
Erin: Wow! How exciting Ian! This is quite impressive. Well best of luck for sure – I am rooting for you!!
Pegge:  Yay, you!  I’m so proud of you for being nominated!  You’d be a wonderful scholar!  I wish you the best of luck during the process.
Pete:  Wow – very exciting.  Good luck! 
Carol:  Wow and good luck!
Tara:  Best of luck to you Ian.
John: Congratulations Ian!  This is exciting news!  Way to go!
Ken:  Congratulations. Make sure your college try is better than the guy in this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0JD8pOgD1s&feature=related

Jay:  Best of luck Ian!  Thanks for sharing and I wish you the very best!  Please keep me informed as to how this pans out.

David:  Wow, Ian – congratulations!  I’ll keep my fingers crossed.
Evan (son), Joanne (wife), and Sarah (daughter) 
When I went home that evening, I passed the news onto my family.  My wife and teen-aged children were very happy for me and encouraged me to apply with enthusiasm.  Everyone knew, that I was one of numerous highly qualified professionals applying for only a few spots and, if I ever were awarded a Loeb Fellowship, then it would not start until some nine months into the future.  Consequently, the whole thing seemed a bit theoretical and far away.
My parents, who live in Canada, were their usual supportive selves.  My mother, a retired nurse, was very proud that I might be heading off to school to position myself to do more good work and better achieve my potential.  My father, a retired landscape architect and park planner, recognized the opportunity to help a lot of cities and people.  He encouraged me to write a book about Livable Transportation and share my ideas broadly, something he and I had been discussing for years but I’d never had the time due to my family and consulting obligations.

No comments:

Post a Comment